Sunday, November 10, 2013

What Awesome Thing Feeds Your Soul?


Calzona Review 10x08 “Two Against One”




In a few words, Calzona in Episode 8 :  Funny. Disgusting. Revealing. Shockingly frustrating.

In this episode, Calzona are moving on. Period.

That’s the only thing worth writing really, and that’s what happened. The End.


I’m shielding all of us from even remembering what happened. It’s better to stay in the safety of the good ol’ reliable denial bubble, when the last Calzona scene in our minds was the trick or treat scene.

It’s a lot better to just accept a simple review instead of going through every detail, some of them too despicable to even write about.

Junked hypotheses


Many of the common hypotheses for this episode were junked. Mainly: 

1       > It isn’t a staging of the 9th  episode as it was expected to be.

2       > There was no intense Calzona scene (we wrongly expected) but the  Calzona issue in this
             ep was very intense

3       >  Daddy Torres was not the returning character. It was Ben and Matthew.

4       > We were not yet given any  initial explanation of  Arizona’s actions 

5       > Arizona was NOT referring to sex with Callie in the promo video when she said “Awesome”


I was very curious about this episode, because Kevin McKidd directed it and he said that it was to be  “really intense” for Calzona. I was also interested because the writer, Meg Marinis, also wrote 9x19 (the one with Callie’s TED speech) and 6x20 ( pre-1st Calzona breakup), which I both liked.


Picture this. Right after watching episode,  your heart is filled with weird emotion.  You can’t think straight,  you turn to twitter and  everybody’s feeling the same way as you.

So you just leave all your gadgets behind, close your eyes and  try to make sense of what’s happening in the world of Callie and Arizona. You don’t know if you’re angry, if you’re sad, if you can still be hopeful.

Then again, you try to make sense of it all.



A  lone question pervaded my mind: Why did she have to say the sex was awesome? She could have said it was “okay.” WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH ARIZONA!!? Oops. That’s the possessive me talking.

I’m actually tempted to just talk about Mer’s printed fork and their ensuing issues rather than talk about this but we all have  to grow up and face the music. 

Moving on.

Calzona scenes


The episode had one very brief Calzona scene, and alternating Callie and Arizona individual scenes , with almost all Arizona scenes giving us pain, and the Callie scenes giving us fun moments.

It was like Arizona was in charge of the heavy, and Callie was in charge of the lightness in this episode. Well at least let's appreciate the balance.


The "Ex" Word


We first see Arizona doing a walk and talk in the hospital hall with maternal fetal surgeon applicant Emma Marling (Owen’s current love interest), and is telling her about how she’ll be interviewed by the board, in this case, Callie Torres.




In their conversation, we see how Arizona perceives Callie at this stage in their separation:

Emma: So, anything you wanna tell me about Dr. Torres?”
Arizona: She’s great! I mean she’s my ex so ….

Let us all please take a moment to note that she called Callie her “ex”. Let’s absorb that and accept. Breathe and accept.

They are to cross paths with Callie and Owen, also doing the walk and talk, with Callie, lightly giving unsolicited assurance to Owen that in the course of the job interview, she’d  be on the lookout if Emma is girlfriend material.




We could sense in Callie’s dialogue with Owen that she’ll be in her “wacky, aggressive, fun Callie” mood.

Owen: Her resume really speaks for itself. It’s more of a… formality
Callie : Oh and maybe an opportunity to learn a little more about the one you’re dating
Owen: Not necessary  at all
Callie: she’s probably not an axe-murderer but if there’s something there, I will give you a heads-up
Owen: Please don’t

And bump! there we see the one and only scene with both Callie and Arizona in the same frame. 


Yes! Five seconds of being in one reeeeally intense scene. Please note my sarcasm. 

Well it’s my fault really that I assumed  we’ll get a real intense Calzona scene. Reckless assumption.

Calzona had about less than five minutes total combined screen time in this ep for the info of those interested.


The Job Interview



So Arizona introduced Emma to Callie  in less than 5 seconds and we see  the next scene-- Emma’s job interview.




It tickled me no end that Callie was more interested in digging up Emma’s personal details, more than hearing about her qualifications for the job. Sara was at her comedic finest, perfect comic timing and facial expressions. Triple hats off to the multi-talented  Sara Ramirez! 





Emma: There were so many great opportunities out here in Seattle

Callie caught that and was immediately interested . “Really?” And she does that knowing, sly probing look.

Emma :And there were some personal elements that played too.(Callie continues her funny look)  I was going through a divorce. We both worked at the clinic and that became untenable, It was affecting my work so I made the move


Callie: Yeah, right, I get that

For a minute there,  It crossed my mind that while Callie was "investigating" Emma for Owen, she incidentally picked up some similarities between Emma's experience and her own. I sensed she somehow wanted to trade notes.

Callie asked, “Was that hard for you? To give up your job? Not your city. Your ex?”

Okay, let’s take this moment again to absorb that Callie said “ex”. She referred to Emma's ex but of course, she seemed to be asking about the "ex", while thinking about her experience with her own ex.

May I just note that the”ex” word has gotten double exposure in this episode. 

My take on this scene is that through the Emma interview,  Callie’s leading questions unintentionally reveals questions that are at the back of her mind. She’s curious and needs information on how other couples handle  separation, in Emma's case, divorce.

In my impression, Callie’s still groping her way through her new situation.


The Awesome Sandwich Spread Scene


Then comes my 2nd least favorite scene. The sandwich spread scene with April and Arizona.
While Arizona contentedly prepares her sandwich, April asks her for advice on her own Matthew problems.



Arizona: What exactly are you asking me?
April: How do I resist? Remember when you had that flirtation with intern Murphy and you decided not to take it any further?


Arizona didn’t expect that was April’s impression and she corrected April  “Oh yeah, I took that further”





April was surprised “You had sex?”
Arizona: Yeah








April: Was it…
Arizona: Awesome.


I can’t forget the  “amused with herself” look on Arizona’s face when she said that, that.... word. That's why even if I can, I won't make this pic  bigger. It's not worth remembering. 

April walked away. She just did not expect this answer from Arizona and this was not the advice that she wanted to get.  “I have to go away from you now”

And left the “eager to kiss-and- tell” Arizona nonchalantly puzzled.




This answered the big question most of us had after the promo. I could not believe what I just heard Arizona say and I did not understand how I felt. 

 I was shocked, heartbroken, angry, I did not know what else, but I was feeling a medley of emotions. I actually did not know what to feel. Anger ruled, though.

I’m an Arizona lover, but I‘m overwhelmed by disgust. I’m not judging Leah’s capability to share good sex. I know this may be subjective or maybe inappropriate or maybe even irrelevant but sorry, I cannot help but think : Why was it awesome? How could Arizona say that it was?

In a nutshell, as the song goes, "and all my dreams were shattered all at once."


Emma and Callie, on kids and feeding the soul 


The light and funny Callie-Emma interview scene continues and thankfully, it provides such relief from that disgust from Arizona’s scene.


Callie sways the discussion to Emma’s leisure activities and this humorous dialogue had me in stitches:

"What’s a typical Saturday like for you?"

Making Emma assure her that she has no problem working weekends and Callie pushes on 


with her Owen-campaign and here comes her line which she does in her funny deadpan style that sends me doubled up in laughter,  "Oh yeah, I’m just wondering what you do for fun? What feeds your soul?"

When Emma talks about how  she likes to read, cook, love movies  and mentions her German Shepherd, too,   Callie asks what she really wants to know (for Owen),

Callie: But no kids, from your previous marriage?
Enma: Previous marriage?
Callie: No I’m just uh, just sayin is, uh is kids something down the line that you see in the future? Do you want kids?
Emma: I’m sorry, I don’t think you can ask me this legally in a job interview

Callie doesn’t push it “Oh, of course not, of course not, you know what? forget I asked.”

So funny to see Callie  with her close- to- intrusive personal questions to Emma in the guise of a job  interview. 

It’s nice to see too that she’s concerned enough about Owen as a friend to do this for 
him. 

The Owen-Callie friendship is such a good friendship to watch out for.

Callie was taking note that Emma likes to have kids, when Owen interrupts to see how the interview was  coming along  and Callie, while Emma wasn’t looking, gave the thumbs up to Owen “I love her."



So funny how Callie signalled to Owen when Emma wasn't looking, and when Emma was looking, told Owen in a feigned  formal official manner “Yeah, we’re making progress”  Hilarious!  

Seriously, what can’t Sara Ramirez do? She can make us cry, she sings like an angel,  and makes us laugh so much. Sara Ramirez is a QUEEN!


Sort of Separated


Next we see Emma talking to Arizona after the interview and this dialogue goes,

Arizona:Callie loves you
Emma: She’s very nice, very thorough  (Ha!) but very nice. How long have you two been divorced?

Arizona: Well I don’t think that we are, We’re sort of separated, I guess “ And Arizona noticeably holds on to her necklace, which makes Emma notice her ring. 




Emma: you still have the ring, but you’re seeing other people obviously

In this dialogue, we sense Emma is now trying to trade notes with Arizona, as Callie was trying to trade notes with her earlier, and unknowingly,  they drift into personal questions

Arizona : Um, yeah, we are


Right here, even if she was uncomfortable with Emma's question, we mark this moment of Arizona’s formal confirmation  of their status. (Aside from what we've heard from Jessica and Sara in previous interviews that divorce never really comes up.)

Arizona did think for a minute there, obviously, she was caught off-guard. She knew she was seeing other people, but  didn’t know if Callie was.


In this dialogue that confirms a lot about the current Calzona situation, from the way Arizona replied to Emma, we find out that it seems nobody has ever directly asked Arizona about their marital status. It was a new question to her. We can also assume that they really have not talked about divorce. They are  separated but not divorced.

I see it as positive because there is no finality to it. Divorce is a lot more serious. It’s legal. There’s a period attached to the end of it.  Calzona’s status is “Separated”.  Meaning it’s still open ended, there is no conclusion. Fluid, but has no finality.

The Emma Factor


 Through the separate talks we’ve seen of Callie and Arizona with Emma, we are given some  answers to what we have been asking ever since.

About their status (separated), about divorce (they haven’t talked about it) , about seeing other people (Arizona confirms that she is, obviously) about how Arizona thinks of Callie as her “ex” . 

It’s the “Emma Factor” that assists us in seeing the status of Calzona through their separate dialogues with her.

They continue:

Emma: I'm so sorry, that was way too personal.  I just got out of  a job interview that was more intimate  than most  rectal exams

This was a way too funny line and I loved how for a while there, Arizona’s reaction was ambiguously strange. She squinted, and paused for a second and I was trying to imagine a hint of a little suspicion there. 




Arizona replies “You should come work here because we do way too personal on a daily basis”


Torres, Walk with Me


Then I see a very uplifting scene, I don’t know why.

“Looking good and feeling good” Richard Webber, who has finally been up from his long hospital bed confinement is now making an effort to  walk, seems to have expressed a subtle uplifting message to Callie, whom he sees across the hall, in a very casual charming way:  "Torres. Walk with me.” 

I don’t know why this touched me. It was so nice to see Richard, considered a pillar of the hospital, who had just risen from an affliction, is now on his way to recovery and also wants to get himself back.

It’s a casual invite for Callie  to walk the hospital halls with him, 


but it evoked nice feelings to see him invite Callie to join him,  with the viewers knowing what Callie has been through all this time.

I saw it as symbolic. As if he was asking Callie to join him on his journey to recovery. Notice the parallelism. Both of them have been down and out, now they’re ready to move on, to get themselves back,  and start on their road to healing. 





It was just so refreshing to see the Plantains together again. 

I felt a sense of reestablished bond of friendship, of support, and of  consolation for Callie. I hope that Richard and Callie, a.k.a Julio and Calliope Plantain,  do walk tall through their journey.


That Scene


I don’t want to continue on to the next scene, I don’t think I can. It’s the biggest scene of the episode and everybody knows what happened.  So this ends here.






Oh okay, whatever doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.  I’ll just close my eyes while I type. You may close your eyes while you read.


Shower 


We see Arizona in front of the bathroom mirror. 

There seems to be nothing strange with that, until we see Leah, who apparently had turned the shower on,  peers through the shower door and asks Arizona if she’s coming in yet. If this is not heartbreaking, tell me what is.

It was bad enough to hear that the sex was awesome earlier in the episode, but when you actually  witness a scene like this, it is utter torture, and pain beyond words.





Arizona, with a seemingly  artificial smile,  says she’ll be there in a minute, and we see her actions step by step

 


>stares at herself in the mirror, sees the necklace 

> guilt and sadness on her face,



>she sighs heavily, a sorry sigh

> holds the the necklace, with the ring visibly still on her  finger 


 

>Slowly takes the necklace off




 It said so many things. Arizona was sad, guilty, but awesome sex was waiting for her, she took a deep breath as if trying to fend off sadness.

Does the person in this photo look like a happy person? Does it even show a person who's the least bit excited for some shower sex? 

OMG. Just thinking about them about to have a shower together, I want to vomit. And I want to cry and cry and cry.

The sadness that I see on her face, as she holds the necklace, seems to tell me that she loves the person she made the commitment to, but this person doesn’t want to have anything to do with her.  

And she seems to have this need for this “awesome“ thing right now to cope with the sadness and loneliness,

I don’t know if she is at all guilty, because even if they’re not divorced they are separated, so it’s not infidelity. I feel it’s more of sadness that instead of having awesome sex with the person she loves, she’ll have awesome sex with her sex buddy.

I'm not happy at all with this sex buddy setup.  I could feel she was not happy that she was going to do it. She knew she was doing something that was not good. 

The Necklace and the Ring


There was a sizable  amount  of screen time  given to Arizona taking off of the necklace. Rightfully giving it the significance it deserves. It has made a lot of us very emotional.  

It is the very first time we’ve seen her do this. But it never was really explained if she ever routinely  took it off before bathing.

For now, it’s safe to be on the side of ambiguity, and just have these questions in mind:

Will she wear it back on?

Is there a finality that she took it off? Did she take it off because of guilt?



Or did she take it off because the necklace would get wet? (trying to think of all the  lame excuses possible)

Noticeably, she still had the ring on and since it was not shown, I assume she didn’t take it off.




That gave me a semblance of hope. 

The fact that Emma made  special mention of the  ring when they were talking, I'm sure that if ever Arizona did take off the ring, they would have shown it too, instead of just showing she took off the necklace. 

So assuming that the ring is still on, I do not understand why she left the ring on, but of course that's something to be happy about. 



She carefully and lovingly placed the necklace in its precious box.



I was so sure that at that moment, all the viewers' eyes were glued on that necklace and where it was to go.

All of this transpired with no dialogue, just Arizona, the necklace and the background music, and Jessica's flawless acting.

I keep wondering what the objective of the highlight on the necklace was.

Were they playing with our minds? What were they telling us? Did it mean  there was a finality to it?

The fact that she did not take off the ring, does it mean she really still loves Callie even if she's having awesome sex with another? I am hopeful.

What is the matter with Arizona?


Initially, this episode brought me devastation. I don’t honestly know where they will go from here. 
I’m also thinking about Callie. She’s been through so much. 


Seeing Arizona indulge in her “awesome” shower sexcapade, and seeing Callie just striving to do her work and being a good friend to Owen, I can’t help but feel sorry for Callie.

Many have been saying Callie doesn’t deserve this. That she can by all means look for somebody better.  I just hope that the majority of disappointed fans still believe in TeamCalzona. 


I was blind-sided because first, I never thought Arizona would ever say she had awesome sex with somebody else.  Secondly, I did not expect she'd take the necklace off because she didn't when she had the easy peasy thing in Ep7.

All I can think of was, what have the writers  done to Arizona’s character? To put it aptly, her character has been mercilessly diminished.


What We Hope For After Eight Episodes


Eight episodes have gone by. That’s two months of suffering the actions of a much-revered character on Grey’s Anatomy. 

That’s eight episodes of disappointment, of waiting for answers, waiting for an explanation why she even cheated with Lauren, why she seems all-slutty. I’m not cringing at saying this anymore because sorry to say, what we had feared has come true. She has succumbed to whorishness, and even Leah has too.

I’ve been hearing a lot of reactions from the fandom, expressing their disappointment, anger, disgust, blaming the writers, Shonda, for ruining a beloved character as Arizona.

So many accusations and insinuations have been out there on why it’s happening, but there are still those who still hang on to every bit of  hope that Calzona will get back together again.

Lest we forget, and as I have written here many times before in the past seven pieces, Arizona and Callie need to heal. What we are seeing in every episode, is still part of the healing process.

As we wait for the revelation of the PTSD, as we wait for a glimpse into Arizona’s personal  history, and as we await the flashbacks on the unknown details about the 



Calzona marriage, we have to bear what is happening now. And even if it is a bitter pill to swallow, we have to go through it.

We should have understood this from the very beginning. That it will be a rough journey. It was expected. And if we think about it objectively, we know deep in our hearts that these are necessary rites of passage.

They may not be as mild as we expected, because Shonda and her troops  have never 
failed to surprise us with each and every episode. 

On the creative side, I think they have given us really unexpected twists, but in  line with staying true to the nature of these characters, they may have already gone overboard in as far as the audience can tolerate.

Honestly, I’m not even worried about Leah. I always remind myself, she is still just a necessary circumstance. I’ve never even seen them kiss onscreen. Why? Because it’s not meant to last. 

And I just want  to reiterate  how Arizona wasn’t even happy when she was about to go into the shower. It’s all lust. It’s a mutually beneficial sex buddy relationship. No love. It’s all superficial. It’s only meant to satisfy both of their temporary needs.

I hope that eight episodes of waiting for clarity and answers are enough. 

In Defense of Arizona


We need explanations to Arizona’s strange behavior. We thought she was a “Good Man in a storm.” In this episode though, sorry to say,  she was just a plain  lustful  woman who was to take a shower with a young sex buddy.

I am a Good Fan in a Storm.  I protect the characters I love. As a loyal  Arizona fan, I will stay loyal even if I am so disappointed with her actions. I keep the faith there will be a perfect explanation to all this.

I wish that Arizona’s character will gain the redemption that it needs.

I wish that they start to give us clarity in Episode 9. We NEED the explanations.

Fine, they already gave us eight episodes where they sufficiently established the current state of Arizona’s character. 

After the crash, we discover she is a cheater,  that she cannot stay alone, that she easily gets lonely, and that she needs to be intimate with other people, not attaching  emotions to sex.

That fresh from a broken marriage, she can easily have sex with anyone whom she doesn’t even love.


I'm hoping both Callie and Arizona, as they still go on with their journey, both heal. They have their own wounds, they both need to heal. Arizona, we want to get to know her better.



We want to know what details we have not been privy to about their marriage. These will at least shed light on why she is doing all these disappointing things, add to that the PTSD.

And I think and hope we will  know about all these things in Episode 9.

We are disappointed right now. As with anything in life, no situation  is perfect. This is a necessary journey that we have to go through.

I do not know if it's even legal to relate Calzona to this narration in this episode, but I cannot help it. I can really relate it to them, specifically to Arizona.

“Glioma, Fibroma, Blastoma. Whatever the tumor, people assume you approach it the same way.You find Its hiding place in the body, and open the patient up,and you cut it the hell out.
But you’re not just  fighting  the one tumor. You’re actually at war with over a billion cells.”
“Despite how hard you  try and fight to stay in control, When it’s all said and done, sometimes you’re just outnumbered.”  

[It's easy to find the flaws in Arizona. It's easy to judge her right now, and we can easily say she can just heal that horrendous flaw, and cut out that tendency to act like a tramp. 

Maybe we can try to be open to the fact  that Arizona may  not be in struggle with just one issue internally. There may be countless other issues that she is facing by herself and she is just helpless to fight it. Much as she wants to, sometimes, maybe she's just not strong enough to avoid acting in a way that greatly disappoints us.]

Yes, I have to defend Arizona. Because I am a Good Fan in a Storm. 


I hope we all survive Episode 9.

Keeping the Faith for Team Calzona till the end of Season 10. And for as long as Grey's Anatomy exists.




Twitter: @GAFan8



No comments:

Post a Comment