Sunday, November 24, 2013

Everything Takes Time






Calzona Review 10x10  Somebody That I Used to Know


Everything takes time.


Time to adjust. Time to  heal. Time to process. Time to understand. Time to forgive.


The time has come to turn a new page in the Calzona story.

All season, we had seen Callie and Arizona in conflict. Our battered hearts had been conditioned to seeing them fight or not talk to each other in each episode. Issues had become a given. 

We agonized with every heartbreaking situation, and hoped for the day that they try to make peace and work things out.

Our waiting paid off.    

The time for forgiveness and  understanding had finally come, and in this episode, we continue with them on their journey. We see them take their first few  steps in trying to work things out, in the hope for true reconciliation.



Back Home



After the turning point episode last week where  Callie asked Arizona if she’ll come home,  we are happy to see that Arizona has left hotel room 2406 and has come home!

They’re taking baby steps. And the first baby step is, Arizona  sleeping on the couch.

Hey, it’s a step. Any step forward is good. 






The super cool reggae tune ("Differentology") welcomes us to Apartment 502 where Arizona had just woken up, having slept on the couch, with her artificial leg peacefully resting at a table beside her. Arizona is in thought.

Then Callie comes out of the bedroom, “Hey, sleep okay?” 


At least she’s concerned, and it means she cares.

Arizona thought for a while and  said what was on her mind, “Great!” and we immediately sense, by her facial expression, that she’s happy to be back home to Callie, but  thinking hard if she's  happy bunking on the couch.



She remains deep in thought (and had that cute pensive look)  but it seemed she just chose to be quiet about it. Her expression seemed to say “hey, if this is what’s right for Callie at this time, then that should be okay.”

Later on, we discover that she had been camping on the couch for a week now. Is she happy about it? Maybe not so much.

In times of change, where adjustments are being made, Arizona thought it best to not make a fuss. She chose to just ride with what Callie wanted. The best thing was, she was back home.


Muffins



Next scene, we see Callie and April, then joined by Cristina, observing baked-goods lovebirds Owen and Emma through the blinds.





As soon as Cristina left, April and Callie funnily admit they are finding the new couple sweet and adorable.



It was nice to see Callie happy for her friend Owen who had taken steps to move on.

I remember she was egging him on to date again a few episodes back, and is glad “doing homework in the hospital”-Emma is baking her way into Owen’s heart. 

Owen had been enjoying Emma’s baked goodies that time.  Nope, not banana bread. This time it was muffins.  

 

Panic! At the Trauma Room 


Meanwhile, at the trauma room, a six-year old patient was brought in by her agitated babysitter 

Dr Hunt, Dr Robbins and resident Dr Murphy attend to the tachycardic and hypotensive kid, who, riding her scooter downhill, accidentally got hit by a car. 





This is the first time  we see Leah and Arizona together again, after that "You should get dressed now and leave" hotel room  scene.


As Dr Murphy  holds up   the ultrasound film for Dr Robbins, Robbins states  it’s a Supracondylar Femur Fracture,  thus the need for Dr. Torres to work with her on the kid.


Cute that Dr Hunt  had to respectfully double check on  Robbins, “Call Torres, Is that gonna be okay?”

Arizona: Yeah we’re on the mend

It was a literal confirmation to the viewers that yes, they are trying to work things out.
Is it weird that even if I know Arizona’s back home, it still felt good to hear her say that? Yes. I know it's weird.
.
Owen: Glad to hear it.  Murphy, go with Torres and Robbins

Leah looks panic-stricken, not because of  the patient but because of her personal issues, and confides to Arizona “It’s not a  good idea.”

Arizona: It’ll be fine

Leah : I don’t think—

And the attending raises her voice to her ex-easy peasy sex buddy, “Murphy!”

Arizona was being the voice of reason. Leah was not prepared to work with Callie and was in panic at the sudden turn of events that would push her to come face to face with her ex-sex buddy’s wife.

It just dawned on me that Leah is now the EX. Callie is no longer the EX and I am bursting with happiness that Calzona is done with the Ex-word.

Important advice to  Leah and Arizona, (and I guess to all the doctors in GSMH): that’s what happens when you engage in romantic or sexual entanglements in your place of work. Things will inevitably be awkward , to the detriment of your patients. 

This has gone on for ten seasons, it's unlikely they'll listen to my advice.


Panic! At the  O.R.





Next we see Arizona and Leah working on the patient.

Leah: Dr Torres is gonna fix the femur?

Arizona: But she’ll need help from you so just stick around

Leah: You’ll help her, right? You don’t think she needs two people

Leah is obviously trying to get out of having an encounter with Callie. Whether it’s because of guilt or she’s still hurting, it’s disappointing to see that it glaringly gets in the way of professionalism.

She actually wanted to get out of the O.R. when every other resident fight each other off just to get in on surgeries.

This isn’t looking good for Leah, she’s letting her foolish unrequited-love issues  affect her career.

Arizona: You’re a resident. You’re supposed to beg to be in that room. I’m sorry but it’s awkward. It doesn’t have to be.

Leah: You two are getting back together?

Arizona: We are. Yeah

Leah: Like you’re trying it out or…  (seemed like she was still hoping to hear something that could give her hope)

Arizona: Leah, you don’t wanna be the person who says I'll wait for you in case it doesn't work out with your wife



This line sealed the coffin of the Leah-Arizona affair for me. Arizona was not giving Leah any more hope and that was fair. It was sound advice.

It will hurt, but clearly, Attachment-Leah  must look for someone else to get attached to.


That X-ray Room Moment


Callie is studying x-ray images of a patient when Arizona comes in.



I don’t think anyone was expecting  her to make a confession. I somehow thought Callie would know about this via Leah. I  thought Leah would be bitter enough to create trouble between Callie and Arizona, but I guess I let my imagination run too wild.


Arizona’s unexpected confession was something  I appreciated  a whole lot. It signified she wanted to come clean. No secrets. 

In all sincerity, she wanted to  start on a good note.

Arizona: I wanna talk to you about something. I was with someone when we were apart.
Callie, who, all this time had been staring at an x-ray film/image, was too surprised at Arizona’s confession and looks at Arizona


On the defensive,  Arizona continues, “I don’t think that was completely out of bounds, we were separated and you kicked me out of the house”

Callie: Oh so it’s my fault?
Arizona: There are no faults. I just feel that you should know. We’re starting fresh and I wanna be honest with you. I shouldn’t have said anything

And Callie, being the understanding woman that she is, saw the wisdom in Arizona’s intention to come clean,

Callie: No, I’m sorry you’re right. Thank you for being so very honest.
Arizona: I’m trying



Callie walks away to one side, and Arizona still can’t get over her guilt, and preferred for Callie to ask the questions. Maybe she didn’t want the unsolicited straight facts to come from her,

Arizona: Is there anything you wanna ask me?





It was obvious Callie was torn. Approx. 70% of her didn’t want to  know more about it for fear of getting hurt, and 30% of her wanted to hear about some details. (Pardon the percentages, this is  my own practical approximation)


Callie: Oh wow uhm no, I don’t know,  is it once?
Arizona:More than once.
Callie: More than twice? More than ten? You know what? I don’t wanna know anything about it.





My heart was bleeding for Callie. She was getting hurt and Arizona knew it.
I could  feel the pain reverberating on screen.


For this scene, I have to credit Sara and Jessica immensely. They carried on with this scene with so much quiet intensity. They ably brought out all the emotion with their very soft voices they were almost talking in whispers, and with barely any movement. I cannot stop praising them for excellent acting. I just cannot ever.

The quiet pain on Callie, the pained guilt within Arizona -- JCap and Sara delivered this scene perfectly.

I noticed that their scenes in the x-ray room are always most loving and intense.



Arizona: I’m sorry  (all the guilt, all the remorse,  written all over her face)
Callie: Is it over?
Arizona: Yes, Completely  (Arizona is so sincere)
Callie: Okay that’s all I need to know





I'm taking note that at last, I hear an actual sorry from Arizona, which she has rarely or not done in previous eps. 

Hearing it so sincerely from her, and that it's completely over with Leah, gives such a comforting feeling not just to us, but to Callie as well. 

Callie believed her. Callie is a trusting, faithful person.



I was feeling Callie’s pain but she was rationalizing what Arizona was saying. They were after all on a break then. She was trying to focus on Arizona’s intention to come clean as they were starting again, even if obviously, it hurt.

She didn’t want to get into anymore details. It would just hurt her. All she needed to know was if it was over. And she trusted Arizona.


I love conversations like this between Callie and Arizona. Apart from seeing that they are starting to communicate, I could feel the love between two people who are trying to start afresh.  Anyone could feel the love. The trust of Callie. The guilt and willingness to make everything better from Arizona.


 
Arizona: You didn’t?
Callie was not even aware that this question was coming. She was that pure.
Callie: What, cheat on you?.


Arizona was quick to qualify that question, after all, they were on a break from the relationship when she had an affair.





Arizona: Get involved with anyone?
Callie: I got involved with myself. I danced in my underwear and tried to remember I used to be a person who had fun.
Arizona: I’m really trying, Callie. Please. Tell me that you’re trying too.
Callie: I am




Then the moment I’ve been waiting for my whole life since 9.22 A.D., a.k.a the Lauren Boswell era…

Arizona: Can I hug you?
Callie: Yeah




 I loved how Callie looked when she said "yeah." They were both kind of awkward. Callie looked kinda shy but she did want that hug. My heart is smiling from left ventricle to right ventricle. I can't stop.




It was so sweet of Arizona to ask Callie. And it was so sweet of Callie to say “yeah.” And it was so sweet of me to hug my pillow.


And they hug and I watched and re-watched their every move.


It was kind of a careful hug. It had been such a long time, they were adjusting to this hug thing. It was gentle but the love was there. It was pure.


It was not an overjoyed kind of hug. It was simple, yet full of love. A bit tentative, because they were just starting out.

I don't really care if the hug pics are too big for this page, I just love to see them hug.



Let us please take  a moment to note that  this is happening after that Boswell thing.

Did we ever consider the possibility they would hug again after Lauren? After the separation? After Callie told everyone at a party that her wife  Arizona was dead?

This was almost unimaginable. 

I’ve waited for this for so long. We missed this so much. We had it in Ep 9 but that was Retro.  

This one is the real deal.

Sweet. Tender. Moment. In real time.



Then of course, if a TV show has spoilers, a hug between a reconciling Calzona couple has a Leah.

You can  count on Leah to spoil the moment. 

Leah  suddenly barges in and interrupts that most awaited gentle hug. Grrrrr!  She enters the x-ray room and informed them that the patient is hypertensive.


It was really funny how both Callie and Arizona were not happy about the interruption. 


So off  they went, Arizona to help Callie out with the patient, and Arizona leaving orders to Leah for an update.  Leah was obviously hurting.


It Was Her. Ten Plus Times 



Callie was eager to teach Murphy the ropes in doing an x-fix to stabilize the open fracture, handing her the drill and teaching her how to drill into the leg.



Leah did well at first but somewhere along the way, she made a mistake and lost her focus. 

She was too nervous to go on, even as Callie asked her to pull it together.

Callie was directing her, “Just put the drill in reverse. Okay, pull it together, Murphy, pull it together”
Leah: Oh, please (she was asking Callie to take over but Callie was keeping her focused)

And Leah did a weird thing. She turned to Arizona and said in her most unprofessional panic tone “Will you please do something?”


Arizona seemed to  understand Leah and her plea,

My note to Leah: that is not how you speak to an attending, Leah! Unless you’ve had easy peasy stuff together.

It  irks me that in the way Arizona and Leah communicated verbally and non verbally, it seemed they had developed something. Arizona asked Callie to take over,”Callie, can you take it yourself. Just give her a few minutes to calm down”

Callie appeared astounded by the communication that went on with the two, the obvious familiarity of Leah’s tone toward Arizona, and how Arizona seemingly easily understood.




There was that faint sign in the tone and  in how Az looked at Leah, that made Callie sense it was more than just an attending-resident relationship. When she  asked Callie to take over, it was all too strange then suddenly revelatory for Callie.


Since they were all masked, again, it was time for “It’s all eyes in the O.R” acting and I cannot label it with anything  less than perfect.
Callie’s eyes went from Leah to Arizona then slowly understanding, then back again to Leah then to Arizona, it was all making sense little by little and bam! blurting out



“It was her!?!? TEN PLUS TIMES, it was HER???,” she demanded.

Arizona was dumbfounded.




Callie: That is just perfect!

Callie takes out Leah’s hand from the drill and does it herself, with that disgusted look. 

I was actually scared that this was happening during a surgery where they were using a drill.

I was kind of afraid of the danger of having a drill there in that intense moment, but later on, I realized I knew Callie well enough and I knew I didn't have to worry about violence.

Callie did not need  a drill. Her look was enough.  





If looks could kill, Leah would be buried 15 ft by now.


And Leah‘s head remained bowed, couldn’t even look at Callie.



She Loves You!





Then Leah confronts Arizona after surgery demanding why Callie knew.

Of course, we knew that it was Callie who figured it out for herself. She’s not dumb. We were there, Arizona didn’t even say anything. She just blinked. All she did was ask Callie to take over. 

But Callie is better than you, Leah,  and she sensed it soonest. After you fell apart in the O.R.

Leah: Why would you tell her
Arizona: I didn’t. I told her it was someone, I didn’t say who. She figured out cause you fell apart in there
Leah: You could’ve just forgotten about it and gone on with your happy life and..
Arizona : This is my marriage we're talking about
Leah: Yeah, and its my career, she hates me now
Arizona : No she doesn't
Leah: Oh please of course she does. She can't blame you she loves you, the only one she can blame is me




Is it just me? I loved  that it was declared by a character, even if it happens to be Leah. Even without either Callie and Arizona saying it, someone affirming that Callie loves Arizona, it just feels so good hearing that out loud.

And I guess it was music to Arizona’s ears, too, hearing that Callie  loves her and won’t blame her. 

At the same time, this  Leah issue was troubling Arizona, too. I don't know if she's guilty creating this big mess. She knew Leah was greatly troubled and it was obvious it was affecting Leah’s job.

May I please just note that even after enjoying the hug and the sorry's, I am still analytical about  Arizona's actions and reactions.  I am aware of the fact that the much-talked about PTSD has not been addressed yet. 


Calliope Plantain comes to Julio’s Rescue



Then we see a brief scene where Callie checks on Richard who broke his ribs in a  treadmill stress test accident.
It was heartwarming to see  Callie in charge and present to support Julio Plantain.


“What the hell happened? ….You’re jogging now?”

I love Callie in a  take-charge role. Really badass.


Attachment-Leah stares



Then the next scene shows  Arizona through a hospital room window, talking to the patient’s parents, and we see Leah staring at Arizona longingly.




Now that’s what we can call a “truly attached” stare. You could read her mind, that she longs for that one person she cannot truly have. Best that she listens to Stephanie’s advice, to get herself off the floor, and do whatever it is a true surgeon must do.



She has to move on and find somebody else. The easy peasy lemon squeezy days  with Arizona are so over.


Calzona Couch Talk



In a  final scene, Arizona asks Callie if she’s ready. Is it just me? My heart is smiling every time I see Callie and Arizona talking with each other normally as they did before. Like waiting for each other to get ready to go. A world where Calzona do not argue is  a wonderful world to me.




That may sound shallow, but I guess that with all the Calzona trouble we’ve had since 9x22, I’ve learned to be happy with even the smallest positive moments.  That’s what Shonda made me become. In a positive way, I count my Calzona blessings more now. No use  mentioning the negative effect.
  
I spoke too soon, they had a tiny argument at the end of the scene. 

Callie: "I was gonna check on our patient before I left but maybe you should make sure Leah's not near the room I don't want to make her cry"
Arizona: She’s not gonna cry
Callie: I think that the next time you exercise your right to play around when we’re taking a break, I’m gonna ask you to keep it out of the hospital, …it isn’t fun, the whole drama in the O.R.

Why does Callie even have to say “the next time”? There should be no next time, Calliope. And most especially, there should be no next time, Arizona Robbins!



Arizona: I realize that you’re hurt. We got back together, We got back together based on the assumption that we both made mistakes and that we were ready to start fresh. I can’t keep apologizing. And you can’t keep playing a victim. 


If you want me back, I’m back, but I’m not here to become your whipping boy.

I've been sleeping on the couch for a week. If I’m back, I sleep in the bed.

Callie: Uh okay, I get a night to just digest this all and then fine, you can sleep on the bed.
Arizona: That’s enthusiastic
Callie: Arizona!
Arizona: Fine





Let’s analyze this piece of dialogue here.

All that information Callie got this day was not easy to take in. Callie needs time. Arizona can’t wait to share a bed, yes, that was obvious from the opening scene.

Maybe if Callie didn’t hear the news of that Leah thing, she would have agreed. But still, just one night, was all that Callie asked for, to digest all this. I actually found that to be so accommodating.

She was actually very kind. That’s how Callie is. That’s how kindhearted and loving she is to Arizona. Why, even Leah said out loud that Callie loved Arizona!

That line “I can’t keep apologizing. And you can’t keep playing a victim.”  I understand that in order for them to move on, Arizona will have to stop being sorry-Arizona all the time. They have to be on equal footing for them to start their healing process.

I do not agree with this line, though: “you can’t keep playing a victim”.

Though Callie was indeed a victim because she had always been faithful, and she did no wrong, she was not even playing a victim. I think that could have been worded differently.

Callie was from the start, a dedicated wife. After the plane crash and when Arizona lost her leg, Callie was with her every step of the way.




When  she found out about the cheating, of course she got angry, but she never took her revenge. She moved on, tried to reinvest in herself. She never even thought of seeing anybody else. She focused on herself, her child, and her work. She never played the victim. 

After all that, she even forgave and took Arizona back.

When Arizona revealed her Ten Plus Times sexcapades with Leah, Callie’s main concern was if it was over.

She had no hate in her. There was not a drop of impure blood in her. Yes,she was hurt but she accepted what happened, and was willing to move past it, for the sake of working things out in their marriage. So what did "playing the victim" mean?

Callie had put a lid on  Arizona ‘s sarcastic  "that’s enthusiastic”


Callie had been patient and accommodating, but she needed Arizona's willingness to understand. She had to take a minute to process. Things like this need time. Arizona can't push her to rush things. In simpler terms, it meant "Arizona, know when to stop. Don't push it."

I really hope neither of them falls again into the trap of rushing things. If there's one thing that created a lot of problems for them,  it's being rushed into things, into making quick decisions.

I   question Arizona’s impatience.  

It may be either 1) related to her disorder,of wanting things right here right now, or 2) maybe she was just too excited to hop into Callie’s bed once again. Share a bed again as wife and wife.

As I said in the beginning, both Arizona and Callie have to know that all this will take time. 

They have to process and come to terms with all that had happened, heal, then truly work things out with each other.

Calzona, I hope, continue on with their progress. Despite all the trials that will still come their way, I hope they will be strong enough to stick with it.




Love is not enough. They both have to work on it. Rebuild  trust.  

Arizona, being the one at fault, must learn patience. Callie had been such a good human being to Arizona in all this, but Arizona needs to understand that Callie has to process all this very well. And that will take time.

Hopes for next time


I hope Callie  doesn’t change her mind about letting Arizona sleep on the bed.


I hope Callie does process the Leah thing in a single night. It does seem too short  a time but maybe she also wants to have Arizona in the same bed too, finally.

The Calzona situation, though we loved the hug, obviously still needs a lot of work. These are baby steps, but  at least they already took these initial steps. The important thing is to follow through.

Also, we've seen them start to talk in this episode, let's hope they talk even more about all the things that created problems for them. Communication is key for this couple to weather the storms that are still to come their way.

Hopefully soon too, the PTSD thing will be brought to fore and will be healed once and for all.

Everything takes time.  In this case, even Ten plus times. J

Let’s hope Calzona are on their way to true recovery. Unless something happens in the 10x12 cliffhanger.

Until then, I remain hopeful and loyal to them, come hell or high water.

I remain Calzonastrong. Even more than Ten plus times.






Twitter: @GAFan8

No comments:

Post a Comment